Sunday, October 9, 2016

This is someone I have admired since I found her on FB, Tristan Risk, or Little Miss Risk.  She has her own blog, and is very eccentric person, an actress, burlesque dancer, model, and a circus performer.  She is part of a traveling troupe of carnies called Caravan of Creeps, an actress in such films as Innsmouth, Soska Sisters American Mary, and Harvest Lake.  She is on Instagram@littlemissrisk.  Her new film Frankenstein Created Bikers is getting awards all over the world on the festival circuit. Her blog is at  http://www.littlemissrisk.ca   This is my ten questions with Miss Risk enjoy......

1.  What lead you into the gypsy/carnival lifestyle?

 Miss Risk (MR):  The two came at different points.  I've always had a big bite taken out of me from the Travel Bug at an early age.  I've lived in Vancouver all of my life, but mostly as a base of operation.  The desire to get out and see as much as possible is pretty strong, so I find ways to satiate that.  It goes well with the second point which is the carnival lifestyle.  I toured for six years travelling North America and Europe performing burlesque and being able to perform my craft, entertain people, and see lots of this planet are all highly appealing.  The carnival pushes me as a performer with circus , sideshow, and illusion acts, since they can be used to enhance any of my performances, and it's a fantastic art.  I'm so in love with it, and being able to share that with people.

Steve (S):  That is just truly awesome you found a way to do whatever you wanted to follow your dream of traveling and made it great your way.

2.  What drew you into acting?

MR:  I've been a performer since I was small, so it was something I was always doing.  I used to get involved with drama in high school, and musicals.  I stepped back from a lot of that when I started burlesque dancing, because I was making a living off it full time, and touring, so doing the stage plays I had before was difficult due to the inability to commit to the rehearsals.  But, American Mary really jump started that again for me, and I have been fortunate enough to have had a lot of great projects find their way to me, and I have had excellent luck in attracting creative souls in the process.  A lot of the people I work with have ridiculously invigorating energy to be around, and are inspiring to work with.

S:  Truly another classic way your life and everything you do makes you smile.  American Mary was an awesome movie, loved you and the cast, as far as I am concerned, you would have to make such a horrific tale light-hearted off set to keep up peoples spirits and a great crew that knows this and backs everybody 100%, so that makes the feeling even more genuine I think.

3.  I have seen some of your modeling photos, do photographers search you out or do you look for eccentric creative photo shoots?

MR:  It comes and goes.  With the advent of social media, it's so much easier to get in touch with people you want to work with.  My newsfeed on any given day dozens of my friends who are doing great work, and when you see someone who makes an impact, it's really great to be able to reach out and connect to them and talk to them about a collaboration.  Sometimes I will approach a photographer, and sometimes they find me, but I tend to gather a bit of a garden- lots of people I work with repeatedly, so I've got a little photographic coterie of sorts to call on when I have an idea, and they, too have a pool of muses to choose from.  We're pretty spoiled in Vancouver, I must say.

S:  I couldn't agree more with Vancouver it sounds great and I have seen a lot of the same artist signatures on your photos they have such an inspiring touch to the things they come up with it is a true talent of muses you have surrounded yourself with.

4.  What is your favorite horror film?

MR:  Jaws.  A movie made over thirty years ago still has the ability to make people void their bowels.  That's pretty powerful- not a lot of films have that kind of staying power for inducing scares, but that one nails it and plays on a very primal fear that no matter HOW rational your brain is, that will send it into panic spirals.  Not to mention too that was ALL practical effects, which impresses me greatly.

S:  I hate to admit this but personally that was the first movie to ever scare me.  Mostly, I attest, that it was from the fact I never saw the ending, I was so young, but some waters still give me chills to this day, so I definitely feel ya there.

5.  What movie/short film was the most fun for you?

MR:  That's hard- it's like comparing what are my favourite live shows.  There are a lot of very good, very different ones out there.  Comparing them side by side doesn't work, since they are all their own beasts with their own vibe to them.  I have had a lot of fun, and maybe only 10-15% of it has been negative experience of personality clashes, but the rest has been such a joy.  But anytime I am with my darling Soska sisters, of whom being on their sets is basically being home, I am happy.

S:  I love the Soska sisters, I was happy to hear you bring them up, they seem right up your alley, fun-loving people who do what they love.  Glad to hear so few movies have been bad for you.  It seems like creative flack that always gets in the way.

6.  What do you consider your occupation?

MR:  When people ask me what I do, I usually respond with performer and  writer.  Polite conversation usually leads to listing off what I do performance-wise, which always makes me feel a bit weird, like I'm listing off a resume, but I like wearing a lot off hats, so I try not to box myself into too specific an occupation.  I referred to myself as a burlesque dancer for close to 12 years, and now I feel it's no longer the singular thing that defines me as an artist.  I've steadily been writing more and more over the past few years and have written a number of screen plays and am currently working on a pillow book and an instructional book on responsible and mindful partying (and the after that will be required).

S:  It was refreshing to hear someone who doesn't want boxed in, every hat I've seen you wear seems to fit your style perfectly.

7.  How did you meet up with the others in the Caravan Of Creeps?


MR:  The Caravan Of Creeps came together with Burns. he had been wanting to put together a troupe to do local and touring shows. He gathered a number of us from the burlesque and circus community and approached us with the idea, and we were all keen to try it out. I had known Voodoo Pixie and Vixen Von Flex through the burlesque world, and was introduced to sword-swallower, Vivianne Oblivion, through the Elecro Swing nights that happen monthly in Vancouver. The jugglers, Quinn Spicker and Quinn Beasley, I was introduced to via Burns. We are a circus-sideshow collective, so when we do shows or tour, we rotate troupe members based on budget, travel and performer availability. Vivianne is currently on tour with Ozzfest in the USA and will be doing shows with Hellazpoppin', Voodoo Pixie is producing her annual Abracadaver Cabaret this October, and Vixen Von Flex has his monthly show with Gaston Cabaret this month. It's really awesome to be part of such an exceptionally motivated and varied group like these guys.

S:  This sounds like a lot of fun for everyone involved performers and viewers, with basically whoever you could draw together means almost a different show every night.......awesome, wish I lived in Canada at times.


8.  What is something most people don't know about you?


MR:  Most likely something I don't readily divulge, but one thing that's not widely known is that I can peel a banana with my feet. Not really a saleable talent, which is probably why I don't bring it up. No one ever got hired for being the 'banana-peeling foot chick', but then again, I've not Googled it, so I could be off on this one.

S:  That is a true classic.  I would have never in my life expected that answer ever, foot fetish guys would probably want to see that (or have).


9.  What would you like to do full-time or just wing it, live like a gypsy?


MR:  I have full time gypsy before. In the height of my touring days the longest I'd be home would be three weeks. It was fun then, but I do like a level of consistency in my life, and touring it's challenging to eat right, administer the level of self care I'd give myself at home, and maintain relationships with non-touring humans. So while I still enjoy it, I like to have a base of operations and to have a balance between the two. But I find my best laid plans sometimes get thrown to the wind, so if the right opportunity came up, I'd be open to it.

S:  A truly life affirming answer, life can't be maintained without some stability, I must say you are a true inspiration for people who want to do it there way.


10.  What is your favorite thing you do, by that I mean, acting, modeling, or something else?


MR:  Right now I'm obsessed with increasing my flexibility, learning acro(batic) yoga, and working with my lyra hoop. It's like having a new dance partner and wanting to push your limits, try new things, and see what crazy things you can come up with. I love that process, and it's my current bliss right now. 

S:  Lyra hoop I have never heard of but I am sure that will someday it will find it's way into act, and I heard you say maybe trying being hanging by hooks again, scares me just thinking about it but it you find your path leads that way great.  I can't wait to see what the future holds for you.  Your an inspiration to people who really need a person to look to for finding their path and follow it successfully.


That will be all for this week, I wish to thank Miss Risk for being so kind-hearted as to let me interview her.  I hope you all enjoy this and check her many projects out, too many to name, but she is such a great sweet heart I can only hope that more people support her work. Thanks again Miss Risk

1 comment: