Sunday, October 23, 2016

 This is a special interview with one of the brightest up and coming horror novelist of my generation I feel.  He has praised by nearly all of his peers (Idols) including Brian Keene, Edward Lee, and Stephen King.  Jonathan Janz has hit the ground running after years he is finally got noticed foe his work.  I am very grateful he has agreed to be a 10 question participant, met him once a couple of years back.  He is as down to earth as they come, loves his fans, and is willing to share such greatness with fellow up and comers at indie press that have been graced to publish him.  Here are my questions with Jonathan Janz:

1.  What drew you into writing horror novels as opposed to another category?
 
Jonathan Janz (JJ):  I think I'm most drawn to horror because I see it as the most honest of all genres, as well as the most empathetic (as surprising as that might sound). I also think it examines the extremes of human behavior, both positive and negative, more dramatically than any other genre.
 
Steve(S):  I agree with statement rather profound how horror effects everybody different.

2.  Who is your favorite author, only one, who inspired you the most?
 
JJ:  By a hundred country miles, Stephen King. He's the reason I'm a reader, the reason I'm a writer, and the best writing instructor I've ever had.
 
S:  I not a huge fan of him, but Brian Keene is by far my favorite.

3.  What is your favorite horror film?
 
JJ:  Probably Jaws. But if you don't consider that horror, I'd say the next best would be The Exorcist.
 
S: Jaws qualifies I even found this is the second time that has been said, and it scared me too.

4.  How did the deal with Thunderstorm Books come about?
 
JJ:  Brian Keene. Basically, Brian Keene and Paul Goblirsch had a conversation (I think one of my pre-readers Tod Clark might have also had a say), and Brian really went to bat for me. Paul then did the rest. He believed in me and saw enough merit in my work to make the generous offer he made, and working with him has been an absolute dream.
 
S: I am glad someone had the confidence to back your work.  It is great to have the reputation of Keene and him giving you the pat on the back to get you out there.

5.  Children Of The Dark is your most praised book, but honestly which one is your personal favorite from your standpoint?
 
JJ:  Great question. I'd say Children of the Dark and The Nightmare Girl are my favorite published works (with Exorcist Road coming in right after that). But my unpublished stuff, particularly a pair of novels I'm working on, is even better.
 
S:  Now why did you have to mention two new novels, I want them NOW I don't wanna wait lol.  I haven't read Exorcist Road yet, but the other two are great personally I prefer Dust Devils is more my style.

6.  What is one thing most people don't know about you?
 
JJ:  Most people don't know that I almost died when I was eighteen in a horrible car crash. Obviously, I'm glad I didn't.
 
S:  We are all glad that is the worst I've heard yet, wow.

7.  How did you get started writing novels and published, did you ever see this much popularity coming so fast?
 
JJ:  Thanks for saying that. It's hard to know how you're perceived by others, but if they see me as popular, that sounds like a positive thing. As far the quickness of it...there was about half a decade when I was struggling mightily. As in, no one would touch my stuff. No agent or editor saw much merit at all in my work, and for the most part, looking back, I agree with them. But I was working and learning. So to answer your question, any success I've had or will have has been very hard-earned. Which definitely makes it sweeter.
 
S:  That I believe is true everyone, you have to start somewhere and the you try the better you (should) get.  That's why I am trying now life almost half over but dreams never stop.
 
8.  What author, who has praised your work, makes you feel the proudest?
 
JJ:  Another great question. Hearing writers like Brian Keene, Jack Ketchum, Edward Lee, Tim Waggoner, and Ronald Kelly say good things about my work has been really gratifying. I'd have to say, though, that Brian has done more for me than anyone. He went to bat for me before anyone else, and he saw merit in my work before anyone else. And he was vocal about it, which made all the difference.
 
S:  He has been through so much that he took you under his wing means that you are on your way,  With all this high praise from great authors people will take notice and read your novels.  Success is measured by what you feel is how happy you are with your own work, others will follow,  which is so true of you.

9.  Have you had any experience, outside college papers, in writing before you started writing novels?
 
JJ:  Yeah, I tried a novel back in high school, and I started writing the book that would be House of Skin back in my mid-twenties, and I think those were valuable experiences. They say you need to write a million words before you find your own voice. For me, it was about a million, two-hundred thousand. But I think I've found it.
 
S:  I have been writing since high school myself but always started and never actually finished none of them till I took a challenge by a crook.  He was accused of stealing people's stories making them his own multiple names and websites, so he can't be found, but I finished it because (I believe) it had a deadline.  I have put pen to paper again and sticking to short stories.

10.  Which of your novels (so far) would make the best movie not considering a budget (restrictions)?
 
JJ:  Ah, this is fun to think about. I think they're all cinematic because that's the way I think, write, and edit. If something isn't visual, it needs to be changed so the reader can picture it. So...since I haven't answered your question yet, I'd say, in addition to the titles I've already mentioned, Dust Devils and Savage Species would make darn fine films.

S:  I am hoping someday one of your novels gets optioned for film that would be so awesome any budget.


Thanks to Jonathan Janz for spending his busy time to answer these questions for me, to give you an insight in the world of Jonathan Janz.  He is on FB, and his novels are available through most bookstores, and all carried Amazon.com, and he has special editions through Thunderstorm books, quality hardcovers, SUPPORT INDIE HORROR, prior to greatness he is on his way to it.  Read and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment