Sunday, October 30, 2016

   This interview is with a grindhouse guy James Bickert, he has done two films Dear God No! and the indie special Frankenstein Created Bikers.  It was my pleasure to get this interview just after he won the Filmmaker Of The Year award, presented by Days Of The Dead in Columbus, Ohio.  it is a pleasure for me to present these ten questions to such a extinguished man James Bickert:


1.  Sorry to say I'm late to the Bickert bandwagon, but anyhow, how long have you been into filmmaking?

James Bickert (BK):  Since the early 90s, I’ve been working on films in various roles. I came from a photography and fine arts background at the notorious party college Georgia Southern University. From there, I hooked up with film students at Georgia State University and started working on 16mm short films as a grip, soundman, loader, assistant camera, gaffer, SPFX artist, etc. It wasn’t long until I was writing, producing and directing straight to video features.

Steve:  So you have been a basic do-it-all type of guy to learn every aspect of filmmaking.

BK:  Pretty much. With a lot of help and support obviously. 

2.  You just recently won the Days of the Dead Filmmaker of the Year 2016, did you ever see that coming even in your wildest dreams?

BK:  Never. Adolfo Dorta is passionate about putting on entertaining horror conventions and Jason Hoover has done an excellent job programming a diverse line-up of important Indie films at Days of The Dead so It is a real honor and one hell of a motivator to get more of my projects into production.

S: These are fine people that others need to recognize for there gracious deeds for Indie film, and of course, congratulations on a job well done.  I saw a lot of features I wanted to check out but illness with me kept me at home, next year.


3.  Does your next film have to meet these standards or do you just do what "feels" right? 

BK:  What “feels right” for me is making films unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Sadly it depends on money. I have several scripts I want to shoot, all are challenging and unique, but each one depends on a specific budget. I’m known for bleeding every dollar dry and getting it on screen but you need some cash to attract good talent. 

S: Well with a Filmmaker of the Year award may help corral some extra funds, did you use Kickstarter, or Indiegogo before cause I missed out if you did.

BK:  We used Kickstarter and I'll be spending several more months sending out rewards to everyone. I can't thank them enough, 



4.  Is it going to be a tough task to match the crew and acting group you had working on Frankenstein Created Bikers?

BK:  I hope not. Each film has different challenges so we’ll see. Frankenstein Created Bikers had a very large cast and was heavy on practical effects so my next production should be easier. Hell, all my new scripts have 30 less pages too. I’ll most likely make the jump to digital which will seriously speed things up and reduce cost. We shot Frankenstein Created Bikers on Super 35mm film which requires a much larger camera department and additional cost with development and telecine transfer. Maybe I can blow-up more cars. 

S:  I have seen the cast for FCB and they looked awesome, anyway to make things cheaper without loosing your vision is always great.

BK:  You can't loose your vision. It's a struggle.

5.  What is your favorite horror/grindhouse movie?

BK:  It varies from week to week. It’s usually something I revisit out of my collection and then get fixated with for a few days. Right now I’m obsessed with Marc B. Ray’s CLAW OF TERROR. I’ve been gravitating back to that film for years now.  He also wrote a film called THE SEVERED ARM that’s pretty fun. It makes for a great double feature. If I had to choose just one Grindhouse Horror, it would probably be I DRINK YOUR BLOOD. If we’re talking exploitation it would be Paul Glickler’s THE CHEERLEADERS. Both those films are perfect.

S:  That is a very crazy answer no one has even come close to that 70's vibe of stuff I am going to definitely have to check them out.

BK:  I hunt down every pre-1983 film I can. Any genre from any country. Hell, I've sat through 24 Ingmar Bergman films and that jerk never blew up a car!

6.  Do you have any filmmaking school or background in filmmaking?

BK:  Not formally, just getting down and dirty with old Bell & Howell, Cinema Products and Arri 16mm cameras. My photography background helped but that’s probably useless in this digital age. 

S:  I feel you maybe wrong there the images you create with your photographic vision I would say helps a filmmaker with a clearer view, most people I interview don't have any film school background just a desire to let stories and art shine through.

BK:  I was being self deprecating. It's how I morn the loss of film as the popular medium. I don't like digital. I find it cheap looking. Sometimes I even find the experience cheap. Everything is shot flat and color corrected in a way that I don't find pleasing. There is a lack of contrast and vibrancy. The tonal range appears smaller too but I have to adapt, I guess. The on set experience and methods feel light years apart from the hand made aesthetics I grew up on. I have to get over it or become obsolete. Shit, I need to do 70mm before I die, even if it's a short. 



7.  What do most people not know about you?

BK:  My wife and were on an episode of the reality show MEGA DENS where we re-modeled our backyard drive-in. That might be interesting to somebody. Oh shit, I don’t know.  When i'm not out promoting a film, I try to hang out with the majority of my cast and crew on the weekends. I imagine that's kind of rare in this business. 

S:  That is cool never heard of Mega Dens, and the fact you hang with cast and crew leaves everyone willing to go the extra mile for the filmmaker I'm sure, more like family.

8.  Who would you say is your greatest influence in film?

BK:  Amos Vogel’s book “Film as a Subversive Art”. No question, it really changed my perception of film. 

S:  You are making me do homework here must look for this book and see what it has to offer.

BK:  It's great, it turns reality upside down.

9.  How much have you grown as a filmmaker since Dear God No! to Frankenstein Created Bikers?

BK:  Quite a bit. DGN! was all about getting every Super 16mm shot in as few takes as possible and getting the picture locked for under 15K. With FCB I could actually spend some time with the actors. I was still wearing the producer hat but having more time and money really helped the final film. My dream is to one day have a full week of rehearsals with the actors. Yeah, that probably won’t happen. 

S:  Never count yourself out, I can't wait to see both, how many films have you unleashed upon the world.

BK:  I'm not really sure. Only two decent ones. (laughs)

10.  Who is your biggest supporter outside of your family?

The exploitation film fans I meet at screenings, festivals and horror conventions. They’ve been phenomenal and over 700 of them helped finance a large portion of Frankenstein Created Bikers through crowd funding. That’s the greatest support you can have and I hope they enjoy Frankenstein Created Bikers as much as I do. 

S:  I personally have seen or heard a bad word about it, fans do make us proud to be doing what we do, I wish I had more credit by my name but alas I wait my turn.


I wish to thank James Bickert for giving this interview, it is by far one of my favorites so far.  I hope this helps him with future projects, cause he has such an eye and vision for what he wants on film and can squeeze every ounce out of his budget.  His website is bigworldpictures.us he also is on FB.  I know I said a legend was coming it fell through for now (illness), in the future I will try them again, SUPPORT INDIE FILM

A very special thanks to Mr. Bickert for allowing this interview (class act)

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment