Thursday, May 11, 2017


     I would consider this man a great voice in the horror genre, even though he makes no-budget to micro-budget films.  He gives his all without expecting a profit, he does it for the love of it.  I speak of Chad Nelson Knauer, indie filmmaker, and all around do whatever necessary, for his dreams of horror films to be done.  I enjoyed giving him his 10 questions and the answers are very insightful, so without further ado: 

     S:  1.  What made you decided to make no-budget horror films?

      Chad Nelson Knauer: 1: Filmaking has always been a passion and hobby of mine. When I was a kid I got a PXL 2000 (a B&W camera that recorded video on audio cassette tapes) as a Christmas present in the 80's. I've been hooked ever since!

     S:  Man what i wouldn't have given to have your parents, lol.

     S:  2.  How many films have you done no-budget?

     CNK:  2:  Dozens! The first projects I've publicly released were fan films. I've helped out on many other projects with local filmmakers. The next two works in progress are Murder Clown: 1985. Which filming has wrapped and is currently in post production. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwIn2OXNXA ;
And Skeleton Cop. That one is still being filmed. 


     S:  Wow i must head off to see these and possibly work with you on a future project.

     S:  3.  What is, the greatest thing you've learned from your experience?

     CNK:  3:  Safety first. We are big fans of practical effects. Some of these effects come with a serious element of danger if proper safety procedures are not followed. Such as blank guns or fire stunts for example.

     S:  That is the greatest answer i have heard ever, everybody needs to be safe even Hollywood stunt people use and practice safety.  Look at how many actors/actresses have been killed or seriously injured on films.  Great answer!

     S:  4.  What is your all-time favorite horror film?

     CNK:  4:  John Carpenter's The Thing!

     S:  I can't believe of all the interviews I've conducted nobody has ever said that answer, such a classic piece of film work, that probably will never be duplicated.

      S:  5.  Who would you consider your directing "idol"?

      CNK:  5:  That's a tough one! For me, it's a three way tie between Mctierman, Verhoeven, and the Coens!

      S:  That is a nice list, but the Coens, really don't fit, but they have their own style that is for sure.  Just surprising that no horror directors made your list, but it is your opinion and I can't deny your choices they are good.

      S:  6.  Do you direct, act, and write all your films?

      CNK:  6:  No, everything has been a collaborative effort with the people in our group!

     S:  It's awesome to have quality people willing to go the extra mile for one vision.

     S:  7.  Have you ever considered a crowdfunding campaign to get some "real" actors and money?

     CNK:  7:  I think everyone has contemplated that at some point. In my opinion, it's an amazing time to be working in low/no budget films do to the advancements in consumer technology. The times of having to rely on a studio system and distribution companies to have your project created and seen is a relic from the past! The Internet has leveled the playing field for artists to get their work to the public.

     S:  Yes i agree, I was in a film group for a while,  even assisted one a couple of projects on Youtube now.  The group seemed to level off with more discussion than work getting done, that is why I left. But would love to get involved again in a group of action and planning not so much talk.     
  
     S:  8.  Tell us something most people don't know about you?

     CNK:  8:  I spend hours and hours listening to creative Commons music, hoping to find a diamond in the rough! Haha!

     S:  I  don't even know what that is so the jokes on me. Haha!

     S:  9.  How long does it take to film one movie, speaking of no-budget wise?

     CNK:  9:  For me, At least a year for a short film. Sometime longer. Like the saying goes, fast-good-cheap, best you can hope for is two of the three.
     
     S:  You should always aim for all three, but two out of three ain't bad, quality doesn't always come with money either.

     S:  10.  Which movie that is getting a sequel (hypothetically) would you want to direct?

     CNK:  10:  Shin Godzilla. I've always loved giant monster movies and would love a go at one!

     S:  I have never seen it but do love old school Godzilla films, so I will agree with it.




 




     These are a few images of his greatness, looks amazing for his budget restrictions.  I want to thank Chad Nelson Knauer for giving me this opportunity for another quality interview from another great voice in indie circuit.  Be sure to check out his Youtube videos (i need to myself).  SUPPORT INDIE HORROR

No comments:

Post a Comment