Wednesday, January 18, 2017

    This is another great interview with an up-n-comer in the indie filmmaking scene, a triple threat, if you will, he has composer, actor, and director.  Tim Novotny has done all of this, he is a great dude and is doing a new film now, Pharisee, and one being released soon called Vile Prey.  He is all about helping in the indie scene whether he is needed to act or direct, he loves to help out.  Tim is a special guy with what it takes to get the film done.  Here are his ten questions:

     
     1.  You must have a full plate in movies with being a triple threat composer, actor, and director, how many films have you worked on?

     Tim Novotny (T):I’ve worked on about 16 films including 2 web series, a few music videos, and a television pilot. I suppose you could call it a bit of an obsession really. If I’m not creating something for myself or for someone else, I feel as if I’m wasting valuable time. I believe in not just advancing myself as an artist, but those around me as well.    

     Steve (S):  Your have a full series of film work doing pretty much everything  which is awesome to always be expanding your resume.

2.  Which do you prefer acting, directing, or composing?


     T:  I actually prefer directing and writing. Acting is something I love almost as equally as I have been doing it for about 11 years in both theatre and film. When acting,  I really enjoy the process of becoming someone or something other than myself, kind of makes life a bit more fun in a way. Composing is something that takes me out of life entirely (editing film as well). Creating music for me is a bit of a languid and meticulous process that requires a lot of patience. I rarely compose music for films other than my own anymore because of the amount of projects I have on my plate now vs. 6 years ago.

     S:  I had the experience of acting in a series, that never seen light of day) but I feel the same way about acting becoming someone your not was fun, the rest I haven't had the pleasure yet (always willing to learn) so I will take your word for it.


3.  What is your favorite horror film?


     T:  Alien is my favorite horror film as well as my first. I saw the film when I was 4 years old and I was intrigued with the creature designed by the late H. R. Giger. It was the ultimate monster movie, and the way the film was made inspired me to become a filmmaker.

      S:  I can't disagree with that it was inspiring H. R. Giger was a one-of-a-kind artist.

 
4.  Did you have any professional film experience through school or college?


     T:  I was a Theatre major in college so I had most of my acting training there, but no I did not go to school for it. I pride myself in saying that I didn't learn how to make a movie in a fancy film school with bureaucratic policies and expensive equipment. 
I learned how to make a movie on the streets and in the dirt, financially broken and covered in blood.

     S:  That seems to be a rule with indie filmmaking no one has the great money to go to school would rather learn with the money they have and start campaigning for supports, which is awesome to get fans involved.


5,  Who introduced you into horror?

     T:  My parents did really. They would always take me to Blockbuster or the library as a child and let me rent all kinds of films. I would always pick the horror or action films. In a way it isolated me a bit from other kids my age because I was watching movies like The Terminator or Silence of the Lambs and they couldn’t because of their parents. Then again, I was always a bit more curious then other people my age as well. 

     S:  Great parents mine wouldn't let me see R-rated movies until I was seventeen, but got to watch all horror films on TV so I saw a lot of hammer horror in my younger days.


6.  How long have you been doing films?

     T:  Since 2007. I began acting and composing for many local film directors and as time went by I had the opportunity to direct my own.

     S: I wish I had the time for that family came first and then life somewhat took a detour.


7.  What do most people not know about you?


     T:  Most people don’t know that I have a black belt in Kenpo. I really enjoy martial arts.


     S:  So if we don't like your movies you can kick our ass, too lol.


8.  How did you get into the haunted house acting gig?

     T:  I’ve been acting in haunted houses since I was in high school. I will on occasions find a haunted house to work for and join their acting team. I’ve always had a knack for scaring the hell out of people, even when I’m not in a costume. I get a total thrill out of it.


     S:  Family responsibility has stopped me from doing that too, I did have an offer to do it cause they were desperate, I want the joy, not desperation, of doing it with a good group.


9.  Who would you consider your favorite director in film?


     T:  It’s difficult to just pick one, but I’m gonna have to go with Ridley Scott since the films Alien, Blade Runner, and Legend were all the reasons I wanted to make movies.


     S:  That's hard to argue he does awesome work and produces some great TV now along with movies.


10.  Did you get your start directing shorts or start head-on full-length features?


     T:  I began with short films. I wrote and directed my first one in 2012 titled ‘Twisted Fate’ along with another the following year titled ‘Syndrome’, both 30min short films along with a 48 hour horror film titled ‘Sonny’s Guest’. After Sonny’s Guest won 3 awards at the 48 hour film festival, I knew that I was ready to make my first feature ‘Vile Prey’, which was based off a script I wrote 7 years prior to production. Vile Prey is currently in the process for distribution on streaming video and DVD.


     S:  I never knew you before I was directed to you by fellow interviewee Ron George, but I am grateful for the interview and I can't wait to see what you have done and will be purchasing Vile Prey as soon as the deal comes through.  I'm glad to hear your an award winning film director you have a great future ahead of you.


Thanks for the great interview Tim, I hope more success in the future and maybe someday we might get to work together sometime.  Peeps SUPPORT INDIE FILM



No comments:

Post a Comment