Friday, March 3, 2017

      This is by far my biggest interview yet, he is a legend amongst the extreme horror writers out there.  He writes for many different publications small and large, I am talking of Wrath James White.  He is a leader among men supporting a family and finding time for his many deadlines, he also runs marathons.  His graphic style you wouldn't expect from a family man, but he does both with ease.  I was stunned the first book I picked up he wrote, it was just what I wanted.   I love graphic extreme horror in my novels, he has wrote many shorts, and novels with more on they way.  He has agreed to my 10 questions so enjoy these:



      Steve (S) 1.  How did your boxing career go and turn into being an author?

      Wrath James White (WJW) 1.  I always wanted to be a writer. That was my dream since I was young. The boxing and kickboxing came later. I am of the belief that you should try everything you have even the smallest talent for. The only true sin is unrealized potential. When my fighting career ended, it was natural for me to devote all of my time to writing.

     S:  That is so cool it should be inspirational to a lot of people, I think most people have underdeveloped talent for whatever reason and laziness.

     S.   2.   Have you had any formal writing classes, or just winged it from the beginning?

     WJW  2.  I was a creative writing major in high school. I attended Creative and Performing Arts High School in Philadelphia. As a writing major, I had to take three writing classes a day in addition to the standard curriculum. Then, in college, I switched to Philosophy. Still, when I started writing my first novel, I had to teach myself everything all over again.

     S:  Wow that's a lot of English, I want to write have many shorts only one finished, but couldn't handle English in school, but it hasn't stopped me yet.

     S.  3. How long were you writing before finally getting published?

     WJW  3.  I created my ten year plan in 2000. My first novel, Succulent Prey, was published in 2005.

     S:  That was the first novel I picked up around 2010 I believe and have been captivated ever since.  Great novel truly well written.

     S.  4. What is your favorite horror novel?

     WJW  4.  That's very hard to say. Probably Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite. Brilliant juxtaposition of the erotic, the poetic, and the horrific.

     S:  I own that, it had me at first chapter, the rest was frosting on the cake.  It is one of my top five novels ever.
 
     S.  5.    When did you realize that these sick and twisted ideas were going to make you a horror author?

     WJW  5.  Horror is the only thing I've ever wanted to write. I never doubted my sick mind would make me a horror author. My fear was that it would make me a serial killer.

     S:  LOL, a serial killer, I have the same issue I love horror there isn't much romantic in my shorts, but your stories truly did, and leave, deep emotional scars.

     S.  6.  Have any of your stories or novels been optioned for film?

     WJW.  The Resurrectionist was adapted into a film in 2014. It's currently streaming on Netflix. The name of the film is Come Back To Me.

     S:  Why must they change the original name, people want to see what others see as your vision.  I will have to search that out and see it.  Hopefully your offered more movies from your stories.

     S.  7.   Which story (or novel) do you feel is your best work, and would make the best film?

     WJW.  7.  Those are probably two separate questions. 400 Days of Oppression is probably one of the novels I'm most proud of. But I'd really like to see Succulent Prey or Population Zero on the big screen.

     S:  I haven't read Oppression yet, will get on that, Prey would make a great film and Zero I need to get my hands on too.

     S.  8.    What do most people not know about you but would be willing to share?

     WJW.  8.  That I love to cuddle.

     S:  An extreme horror novelist likes to cuddle, wow, the amazing answers I get to that are so cool, one of my go to questions.

     S.  9.   Who is your favorite author alive or dead?

     WJW.  9.  I can't say I really have a favorite author. Perhaps Dostoyevsky. Stephen King maybe. He's probably the author I've read the most. I read lots of different authors, though I haven't read anything from him since the eighties. I don't really have one go-to author that I read faithfully. My loyalty begins and ends at the next book. If the book doesn't interest me, I won't read it, regardless of who wrote it.

     S:  Dostoyevsky I have never heard of, which means homework, may need to get one to see all he's about.  King I can agree I haven't read since I finished The Stand I believe.  I have like 4 go-to authors I love to read, I must admit you're no. 4, honestly.

     S.  10.   Other than money what drives you to be the best author you can (no family)?

     WJW.  10.  I want to be remembered, for my work to influence culture, long after I am dead. That is the conceit of all artists I believe.

     S:  That is a profound answer, not that most seem to get more popular after death it seems, but I like to find new authors before they "make it."


Well I want to thank Wrath James White for taking the time for my blog.  He is a true artist in his genre of writing.  He is a very busy man, but found time to spend finishing my questions.  He is working on more novels and stories, this man seems to have never ending time.  But please help the man out by giving his books some love.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment